Kryptonite New York Lock Standard Best All-Around Bike U-LOCK
While the Kryptonite New York Lock Standard is not the biggest and badest bike U-lock out there it covers all the bases well enough while still being light enough to use daily and carry around.
Unlike some of the other bike locks we have featured on this site like the Altor SAF or the Fahgettaboudit Mini the Kryptonite New York Lock Standard isn’t going to stand up to an angle grinder for a long period of time.
But that’s ok because that’s not the point. The point is to be secure enough, without being too big or heavy.
This U-lock is meant to keep a bike safe while you are in class at uni, going to the pub, or at work. It can also be a more permanent fixture in a place that is less prone to theft.
Build Quality of the Kryptonite New York Std
With the strong hardened steel shackle, hardened steel body, and a very robust lock core, Kryptonite has put together a lock with no obvious weak points.
This is exactly what you should be looking for if you are hunting for a bike lock. Too many times lower quality options come up that have a flaw or a specific weak point that can be exploited by a thief.
Two other points that make this a great lock for using day to day are.
- It comes with a bike mount, so you don’t have to carry it on your back or try to hold it while you ride. this way you won’t even feel the weight of the lock as it is fixed directly to the frame of your bike.
- Kryptonite cover your bike with an anti-theft protection. Meaning if you use this lock with its rating of a 9 by Kryptonite they will give you up to $4000 or €3500 depending on your bike cost and insurance. But this is still an amazing offer and truly shows how confident Kryptonite really is about the Kryptonite New York Lock.
- 16mm Hardened Steel Shackle
- Hardened stell sleeve over the lock body
- High-security disc detainer lock core
- Double locking shackle for added strength
- Only weights 2kgs / 4.45 lbs
LockPickingLawyer Kryptonite New York Lock Standard
This is one of the few locks that the LockPickingLawyer gives a favorable review of. While he is able to break into it in a short space of time.
None the less he complements the construction and thoughtfulness of the production of the lock. Also, the pick that he is using is a specialized piece of equipment that requires a lot of skill to use and this is not what most bike thieves would have.
This is why the LockPickingLawyers recommendation of this lock is that it is the Best All-Round bicycle u-lock.
More details on kryptonitelock.com
Kryptonite New York Lock Standard
PICK RESISTANCE - LOCKPICKING DIFICULTY8.0/10
PHYSICAL RESISTANCE - CUTTING, TWISTING OR BREAKING9.0/10
LOCK BYPASS RESISTANCE - DESIGN OR PRODUCTION FLAWS9.0/10
- Very high-security bike u-lock
- Light construction for its strength
- Very secure lock
- Kryptonite anti-theft garantee, pay for you bike if its stolen
- Expensive (but worth it)
- Not as versatile as a chain lock