Why Schlage Locks Are America’s Most Trusted Lock Brand
Your front door is one of the critical aspects of your home as it helps to secure you and your family from burglars or intruders.
Thanks to advances in home security, break-ins and burglaries have significantly reduced. However, the need to secure your home is still as vital as ever before.
The door lock market is saturated with several door locks and brands.
If you are looking for a reliable, strong, and secure door lock, Schlage locks are your best and ideal choice. The brand is famous for producing top-quality door locks and keyless and electronic locks with advanced safety features.
This article provides an in-depth guide on Schlage locks and what you must consider before buying a Schlage lock.
Brief History Of Schlage Locks
Schlage lock was founded in 1920 by Walter Schlage, who is regarded as a leader in producing security devices for both residential and commercial use. Walter, a German-born engineer, is also known for advancing the cylindrical lock with a push-button locking mechanism.
Even after Walter’s death, the company continued expanding, acquiring other companies such as California lock company. In 1974, Ingersoll-Rand company acquired Schlage company, and in 1977, Schlage separated its residential and commercial divisions by relocating its administrative offices to Colorado Springs.
Then, in 2013 Schlage joined Allegion, which is North America’s number one producer of security products and consulting
Through its 100-year history, Schlage locks have remained steadfast in producing quality locks and revolutionizing the security game.
Schlage locks have developed over the years and feature new technological innovations to keep your business and home safe. For instance, the Schlage Encode Plus is a smart Wi-Fi deadbolt that connects you to your home Wi-Fi from anywhere. It is also compatible with Apple Watch and HomeKit, among other devices.
This feature allows you to set up the lock easily and remotely access your home. With this door lock, you can be aware of who has access to your home and if your doors are locked with just a push of a button.
How To Pronounce “Schlage“
Despite its popularity, many people still find it quite challenging to get the correct pronunciation of the door lock giant.
So before delving into the main crux of this guide, let us discuss the small matter of how the brand name Schlage is pronounced.
There are several erroneous pronunciation variations of the name Schlage out there. Schlage is pronounced as one syllable with a hard g sounding as in “egg” and not a soft g sounding as in “cage.”
So Schlage rhymes with words such as plague, Hague, and vague. You can go on YouTube and check out official videos of Schlage door locks to hear the correct pronunciation of the brand name.
Schlage Door Locks
Schlage has an extensive menu of stylish premium quality door locks in the market. As a foremost brand in the industry, Schlage has perfected the art of crafting door locks you can trust.
With over a hundred years of making door locks, the brand has maintained its attention to detail and meticulous designs. As a result, Schlage has a variety of products ranging from deadbolts, knobs, levers, intelligent locks, electronic locks, handsets to hardware and accessories.
Schlage Keypad Locks
Keypad locks are ideal in situations where several people need access to a closed area without a key.
In addition, Schlage keypad locks offer the perfect solution for incidences of lost or stolen keys. Coming and going in has never been more effortless with Schlage keypad and electronic door locks.
Best Schlage keypad lock – Schlage Camelot with Flex-Lock
No other keypad lock comes close to the Schlage keypad entry with Flex-Lock. The keyless entry lock comes with a simple keypad with digits nine to zero.
It also features a lever that helps open the door once permitted entry. One unique feature of this keypad entry lock is its impressive battery life and the fantastic flex lock feature.
The flex lock option allows you to hinder the auto-locking feature of the system by tossing the thumb turn on the interior side of the door to the vertical position.
The Schlage Camelot keypad accommodates up to 19 unique entry codes. In addition, its keyed entry access is vital in incidents of a battery failure or emergency.
- Its flex lock feature enables you to switch between unlocked or automatic with just the touch of a switch.
- Delivers enhanced security as you do not have to bother about misplaced or stolen keys.
- It comes with a keypad feature that brightens at night for clear vision.
- Its universal latches and deadbolts fit into 2-3 inch or 2–3-inch backsets.
- Codes can easily be added and deleted on the keypad by using the lock’s unique 6-digit programming code.
- It comes with a 9-volt battery.
The Schlage keypad entry lock is widely used in many homes and commercial facilities to provide security at all times.
Schlage Smart Locks
Smart locks are powered by the latest technology in home and office security. Additionally, the technology behind smart locks has continued to evolve with the entrance of more advanced and sophisticated hardware in the door lock market.
Schlage smart locks are designed to provide the highest security to your homes and businesses.
Aside from getting notifications to your phone when locked or unlocked, Schlage smart locks are compatible with other devices, including cameras, video doorbells, and other security stems.
Best Schlage Smart lock – Schlage Encode Wi-Fi Deadbolt
If you are looking for the smart lock with the best alarm system that blares out in the event of a break-in, the Schlage Encode tops the bill.
The Schlage Encode is a smart and stylish device with a plethora of amazing features. It functions as a manual lock and keypad that works with several home systems, including the Amazon Key.
Its built-in alarm systems are second to none in terms of volume. For example, the Schlage Encoder’s lock accommodates up to 100 codes.
In addition, the smart lock has a built-in Wi-Fi that enables you to connect to your network.
- It comes with a built-in alarm technology that detects any security breaches.
- It combines with other home systems, including ALEXA.
- Its Wi-Fi system allows you to lock and unlock from any location.
- Easy one-touch locking smart lock with voice control feature to provide hands-free convenience.
- Quite easy to install
The Schlage Encode Wi-Fi deadbolt is impressive hardware that features some of the most advanced technology in door lock security.
In addition, its integration with Google Home and Alexa makes it a top smart lock in every sense of the word.
Schlage Commercial Door Locks
Everyone desires to keep their business as safe as possible. As a result, many businesses use commercial door locks to secure their offices, stores, and warehouses from intruders.
Schlage has a variety of high-quality commercial door locks to secure any commercial property safely.
In addition, Schlage commercial door locks come with the latest security technology you can trust. Let us take a detailed look at some of Schlage’s commercial door locks in the market today.
Schlage Lever Locks
Schlage lever locks are quite popular in many residential and commercial properties as they are quite easy to install. Similarly, Schlage levers offer excellent aesthetic options for individuals who intend to match their lock with their door decor.
Schlage ND Series
Schlage ND Series remains of the highest-selling mechanical locks in the industry. The ND-Series is well known for its durability, toughness, and ease at which they fit into a wide array of applications.
Schlage ND Series is designed to withstand 3100 lb. of tough lever torque. Similarly, the N-series has gone through offset lever testing of up to 1600 pounds.
The implication is that the Schlage ND series offers adequate resistance break-ins. Let us take a detail at one of Schlage ND-Series products.
Best Schlage Lever Lock – Schlage ND 10S Grade Passenger Lever Latch
If you are looking to buy a commercial door lock for heavy-duty usage, the Schlage ND 10S Grade Passenger Lock is a perfect choice.
The door lock is designed for hospitals, offices, schools, retail spaces, and general commercial applications.
The ANSI-certified Grade1 lock is built to withstand brute force attacks. It is easy to service and also powered by advanced security technology.
The Schlage ND10S Grade Passenger lever latch remains the most formidable cylindrical lock for heavy-duty applications.
- It comes in various finishes, including gold, silver, and bronze to brass tones.
- It has a lock function passage
- It satisfies ADA requirements A117.1 accessibility code.
- It comes with a 2-3/4″ standard backset.
- Its zinc plated lock chassis is built for corrosion resistance.
The Schlage ND 10S Grade Passenger Latch is a commercial lock you can trust for heavy-duty applications. Its vast range of styles and finishes suits various project needs.
How To Rekey A Schlage Lock?
Several situations may warrant you to change your locks. For example, dealing with a discontented employee or moving to a new house could force you to change your locks.
However, rather than changing your lock, you can choose to rekey it. Rekeying your locks would save you quite a lot of money than changing your locks entirely.
Rekeying a Schlage lock: What you must know
Rekeying a Schlage lock requires some measure of expertise and experience. You would need a Schlage rekey kit to get started.
The Schlage rekey kit contains the vital tools you need to rekey its lock successfully.
It would help if you had a good idea of the specific tools you need to rekey your Schlage lock to avoid getting confused with the numerous tools you may find in the rekeying kit.
Follow these steps correctly and ensure you adhere to every instruction. There are two main ways of rekeying a Schlage lock: a master key and without a key.
How To Rekey A Schlage Lock With A Key?
- Step 1. Bring out your deadbolt from its package.
- Step 2: Place the actual master key into the deadbolt.
- Step 3: Use the cylinder cap tool to remove the cylinder cap.
- Step 4: Pull out the cylinder pin and spring close to it.
- Step 5: Turn the key till it reaches a two ‘o clock hour position. Place the deadbolt in your cylinder using the follower’s bar tool. Ensure you do not remove the follower bar when pulling out the cylinder.
- Step 6: Empty any bottom pins in the cylinder before removing the primary master key.
- Step 7: find the key cut number on your new key and insert it into the cylinder.
- Step 8: Match the numbers to your new key.
- Step 9: Read the cylinder from left to right and insert the correct numbered pin in the first hole.
- Step 10: Repeat the above process for the second to the fifth holes.
- Step 11: Make sure all your inserted pins align well with the cylinder top.
- Step 12: Push the cylinder back into the deadbolt with the follower bar and remove your key.
- Step 13: Reinsert your cylinder spring, after which you reinsert your cylinder pins.
- Step 14: Use the cap removal device to tighten the cylinder cap back to its primary position.
- Step 15: Lock and unlock the deadbolt to verify if the rekeying process was successful.
How To Rekey A Schlage Lock Without A Key?
Rekeying a Schlage lock without a key is pretty much complicated. Following these instructions to relay a Schlage lock without a key.
- Step 1: Look for lock picking tools that are legally acceptable to unlock your door.
- Step 2: Press firmly into the doorknob with a paperclip. You can then drag the knob off while the paper clip eases from the pressure applied with the paper clip.
- Step 3: Set aside the cylinder housing and use the retainer ring tool in rekeying set to remove the retainer ring.
- Step 4: Remove the cylinder plug from the cylinder by using the follower tool in the rekeying kit. Make sure you take your time while doing this so that the springs don’t fall out.
- Step 5: Pull out the old pins and insert them into a new key. Please adhere to the specific kit instructions to enable you to match the color-coded pins with their new destinations.
- Step 6: Change the new steps with the new key before locking the door to secure the knob cylinder.
How To Choose The Best Schlage Door Lock?
The following tips are useful to help you choose the best Schlage Door
1. Consider Your Door Type
You would have to consider the door type, location, and room you intend to use it.
2. Consider the door lock function
Another vital question you must ask yourself is what function you desire from your Schlage lock. For example, you might be concerned about specific features such as keyed entry, integration with smart home systems, Wi-Fi system, or built-in alarm system.
3. Consider the design and finish
You would have to look for a design and finish that matches your style and decor. Schlage has a variety of finishes and designs that would certainly complement your home style.