Well, the Germans have gone and created another great piece of engineering with the ABUS Granite XPlus 540. Despite its somewhat smaller dimensions and weight, this bike lock is one that can go toe to toe with the best of the best in regards to bike u-locks.
The design of the shackle is interesting as it is a square section meaning that even though it’s only 13mm across this has as much material as a 14.6mm round shackle. It is also double locked to the lock body and sheathed with plastic to protect your bike.
While the shackle is smaller, it has excellent hardening meaning that it will put up to cutting attacks very well.
On top of this, the entire lock is built with hardened steel, meaning that it is extremely strong all around.
To top off the great physical security of this lock it has a special disc-detainer core ABUS call their XPlus core that offers top-notch picking resistance. It has 7 discs, a special locking mechanism, and other security features meaning that this lock is extremely hard to get into unless you are quite adept at picking these locks and have the required equipment.
- 13mm square hardened steel double locking shackle (equivalent to a 14.6mm round shackle)
- Hardened steel lock body
- ABUS high-security XPlus lock, extremely difficult to pick and requires special picking equipment to do so
- Weight 3.5lbs / 1.6kgs
- Good weather protection
From the LockPickingLawyer
Due to the square profile of the shackle, there is significantly more material than it sounds. The 13mm square profile of this shackle is equivalent to a 14.6mm round hardened steel shackle.
Also with the interesting core that has several security features that will make this a challenge for all but the most experienced lock pickers.
The ABUS Granit XPlus 540 is a top-notch bike u-lock. It doesn’t have the massive size of other bike locks, but it makes up for that with smart design decisions. Being completely made of high-quality hardened steel and having a very secure locking core that will be a challenge to all but the best lockpickers. This is one of the best bike u-locks locks you will get.
ABUS Granit XPlus 540 Bike U-Lock
PICK RESISTANCE - LOCKPICKING DIFICULTY8.0/10
PHYSICAL RESISTANCE - CUTTING, TWISTING OR BREAKING8.0/10
LOCK BYPASS RESISTANCE - DESIGN OR PRODUCTION FLAWS9.0/10
- High-security lock core that requires special tools to pick
- Lightweight for its size and security
- No known security bypasses
- Thick anti-drill spinner protecting the locking core
- Plastic sheathed shackle to protect your bike
- Shackle is only 13mm thick (increasing this would increase the weight significantly so it’s not really that much of a downside when this is meant to be a portable lock)